Wednesday, May 23, 2012

¡Adios y vive tus sueños!

Estudiantes,

This has been an AMAZING year for Spanish at CMDS and I am going to miss all of my students, pre-kindergarten through sixth grade. Teaching every student in the school was a big challenge, but also the greatest priveledge. You are each a treasure to me and I can't wait to hear about your future endeavors and accomplishments. I will keep this blog open to post journals, videos and pics from Mexico, so you can still comment and let me know how you are doing!


The Spanish Spirit Award
I want to give this award to 3rd-6th grade students because learning a foreign language is about more than just getting a good grade in the subject. It is possible to get straight A's in Spanish, yet walk away only remembering a few words or phrases and never really using it in your daily life. What makes the difference is spirit. I would not have earned the Spanish Achievement Award in high school because I didn't have the highest average; I had to study hard and learn to use my dictionary quickly and I made a lot of mistakes in Spanish. However, I was constantly practicing speaking Spanish with my friends outside of class, I attended Spanish church services to listen and observe more of the language and culture, read books and poems in Spanish and listened to Spanish music. It became my dream to live in a spanish speaking country and to one day speak Spanish very well.


As you continue in Spanish or whichever foreign language you choose in the future, don't be afraid to make mistakes.  Dive right in, start speaking, writing and performing in your new language. The good thing about mistakes is that they can help you to learn-- and can be funny as well. Imagine asking for "sopa" instead of "jabón" in a grocery store, or "jabón" instead of "jamón" at a restaurant!  Ay ay ay... Don't let mistakes stop you; just keep right on going. Also, if you get the chance, IMMERSE YOURSELF! That is the single most important key to learning and understanding a foreign language and culture. You won't regret it.


Goodbye, chicos and chicas, and remember to live your dreams!

-Señorita B

1 comment: